Sunday, February 27, 2011

CATECHISM HELP WANTED

I am having a terrible time with catechism this year.  I only have 3 in the class, so group activities are limited.  They are all introverts and getting any conversation or participation is worse than pulling teeth.  I have tried some of the stuff that I have done with small classes in the past, but they have fallen flat.  Complicating is the fact that I have one that is highly intelligent and biblically literate.  The other two are reasonably intelligent, but almost no background in the faith.

They are bored.  I am bored.  I dread catechism.  They probably do, too.  Any thoughts on how to help these youth with spiritual formation that isn't going to drive all 4 of us out of the church?

3 comments:

  1. 1. Get them to teach catechism -- to you, their parents, younger kids in your church, or
    2. Create a confirmation blog with links for them to follow -- have them co-author the subjects as they find information, or
    3. Have them write music or skits or youtube interview people who could talk about themes -- like the parents or godparents of a recent baptism, or
    4. Find another church with three in their class and link up, and most of all
    5. Rejoice in the fact that you can go beyond the normal boring stuff to listen to them and tell them over and over again how much you enjoy them and how much you learn from them.
    I know. I have had such classes. They do remember even years later and go out of their way to let you know. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray -

    I have had a class of 2 and a class with just 1 before. But this class has just been a challenge for me. I at least have been able to do #5 pretty well. We have great time with snacks and them telling me about school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best part. Yum, yum! I've come to believe that confirmation is a time when we as pastors sow seeds of relationship. My only hope is that my kids see me a someone who cares about them and can listen to them. So that someday later in life when they are going through tough times, one of the people they turn to for help is a pastor. It's not about me, but it's the office of pastor. Anything else we learn together is a bonus. I don't remember any lesson my second grade Sunday school teacher taught me, I just remember she liked my new shoes. That seed, and other seeds from teachers and pastors, led to ordained ministry for me. Confirmation is a life long experience for which we just sow these seeds. Someone else with tend and weed. And someone else, most likely in some other church, will reap the harvest. That's the clergy cloud, too!

    ReplyDelete