Friday, February 25, 2011

What is the process by which you disciple people?

This was a question posed to our Transforming Leadership Initiative group almost 2 years ago and one that I wrestled with for a long time. "What does it mean?" I asked myself.  I realized I didn't even understand the question so I must not have been doing anything to disciple people.  At least not intentionally.  I knew about spiritual practices, of course, but an intentional process to help people along on a spiritual journey?  It was too linear for me to imagine.  And then, this image that we had been using as a parish logo of sorts began to develop into something greater in the life of our community, Trinity Lutheran (Monroeville, Ohio).

The roots began to be a metaphor for the spiritual journey of discipleship.  They began to represent the mature life in Christ.  We left some blank because it's different for everyone and yet there are always similarities: worship, prayer, devotions and study, service, mission etc.


So, it's a great question to ponder as leaders in the church. What is the process by which you disciple people?  What would you say?  

1 comment:

  1. I would say that the process is directly related to the commitment I maintain to my own maturation and evolution as a "Christ-ian"...one who proclaims faith in, and lives rooted in Christ. Another factor in the process is my transparency. Without hanging my struggles on my sleeve, am I willing to let Christ shine through my struggles and imperfections and illuminate a path for others that draws them, not towards me, but towards Christ? Finally, the process involves just getting up and doing something to serve others. Then, if the opportunity surfaces where they ask why I have done this or that or what does it mean or anything close to those questions, I have an opportunity to say: Come, see... sit with me at His feet.

    ReplyDelete